Thursday, 6 September 2018

David Vs Goliath cast preview

Survivor is taking a big risk with this season, with a theme that could end up as a total mismatch. My overall impression of this group is they seem very different, in a good way. Let's go through them one by one.

THE DAVIDS

Christian Hubicki - Robotics scientist

What Jeff says: "Christian Hubicki is what you think of when you think of a David. Very smart guy. Underestimate Hubicki and you'll find yourself being voted out."
Yeesh, can we chill with the last name stuff already? His bio is funny but he also rambles on a lot about random stuff. He seems pretty awkward so I can't imagine him doing well, but usually these nerdy superfans always do.


Gabby Pascuzzi - Writer

What Jeff says: "Gabby is, some would say, a female Cochran or another version of Aubry. She's got a nerdy side to her but the truth is she's really smart, so socially she's excellent."
Already one of my favorites. She has a great sense of humour and knows the game, so I hope she can do well. If she can get to the merge, nobody will be worried about her for a while.


Davie Rickenbacker - Social media manager

What Jeff says: "Davie's one of my favorites, he's a really likeable guy, has great self-awareness. And I think he's a guy who is actually so likeable he might be the guy that can float through without getting in anybody's way."
Davie seems like a really fun and eccentric personality, but also normal and relatable at the same time. His bio made me laugh the most, especially when he was talking about his pack of huskies.



Lyrsa Torres - Airline agent

What Jeff says: "I think Lyrsa's going to struggle in the beginning, but if she can fit in and let her guard down I can see her going deep in the game."
Hard to imagine her not as an early boot. Anyone who stands out or is different in such a blatant way is likely to be in trouble very quickly. I'm sure Lyrsa has a great personality, but being a weak challenge competitor as well is just too many strikes against her.


Elizabeth Olson - Kitchen staff

What Jeff says: "Elizabeth was one of my favorites the minute she walked in, I like everything about her. She'll say 'I started working at 11 because I wanted to have a horse'. I don't know many 11-year-olds that are working and earning real money. That's the story of a David."
I feel like Elizabeth was cast due to the success of Lauren. She's gonna be a big personality, but will she be a gameplayer? She's a long-time fan so maybe, but I'll believe it when I see it.


Nick Wilson - Lawyer

What Jeff says: "Nick Wilson is a guy that is really complicated. He's a David so much that he's willing to forego the shot at Goliath and come back to help other Davids. He's a little quirky, he's really likeable...he's gotta find a solid alliance."
I think if a David was to win, Nick might have the best shot. He's likeable, laid-back and smarter than he seems. Humble and accomplished, Nick has the best of both worlds.

Carl Boudreax - Truck driver

What Jeff says: "I think Carl is a real sleeper to win this game because I don't think he's gonna get in anybody's face."
Carl is a family man, religious, very blue collar. That should be enough to connect with people like Elizabeth and Pat at least. He had the shortest bio so he was hard to get a read on, so I'm not expecting much right now.




Pat Cusack - Maintenance worker

What Jeff says: "Pat Cusack is actually the guy that inspired the David vs Goliath idea. He told us his story about growing up with nothing. For me it was 'absolutely must be on the show.' That's the guy you root for, he deserves a shot."
I don't see him lasting long, but I feel like he could at least provide some good comic relief while he's there. Jeff's story about him not understanding time zones was hilarious.

Jessica Peet - Waitress

What Jeff says: "Jessica is a hard-working smart young woman who I think is gonna lie about her age. She doesn't want people to think she's a teenager. She's already had a lot of experiences when most kids her age are just trying to get through school."
My biggest takeaway from Jessica's bio is that she's surprisingly a huge fan! And she smartly seems to want to keep that under wraps, so people can assume she's a recruit an underestimate her. Not revealing her age to avoid the Will Wahl problem is a good move too.


Bi Nguyen - MMA fighter

What Jeff says: "Bi is literally an MMA fighter, so you would think at first glance she's gotta be a Goliath, but then you talk to her and no. She's had a hard life, and as she describes it, everything about my life has been climbing out of one hole after the other."
Let's be honest, the only reason Bi is a David is so they don't get slaughtered in challenges. She'll probably be too valuable for her tribe to get rid of early, but come a swap or merge, she could be the biggest target.

THE GOLIATHS

Mike White - Writer

What Jeff says: Mike White may be one of the most unexpected Goliaths because when you look at him, you think 'you gotta be a David', but you talk to him and he says 'when have I lost?'"
I'll tell you when: two seasons of The Amazing Race! All shade aside, I really like Mike, and I'm glad not everyone on Goliath is a physical powerhouse. That might draw some attention initially, but the good thing for him is they're probably going to win a lot of challenges. He's also a long-time friend of Jeff Probst, so he knows the ins and outs of the game.

Angelina Keeley - Financial consultant

What Jeff says: "Angelina is smarter and more accomplished than she wants anybody to know. Her ego would want people to know I was a 4.85 Stanford and a Yale master, but she's also smart enough to know that if I trot out my resume, it just makes me a target."
Smart enough to fit in with the nerds, pretty enough to fit in with the popular crowd...Angelina starts this season a in a very good spot. I kinda get Liz Markham vibes though, so maybe she's too perfect? The key will be keeping her threat level down (her friend Adam Klein probably gave her great advice on that) because there's a cutthroat player in her waiting to emerge.

Jeremy Crawford - Financial consultant

What Jeff says: "Jeremy is a very likeable guy. Strong, smart guy, an attorney, and I think he's as cunning as people are going to think he is."
As a gay black guy from the South, Jeremy feels like too much of a misfit for the Goliath tribe, but they must be leaning on his lawyer credentials. The way he talks about not being able to fly under the radar, he's gonna put a target on his back very quickly. And I don't know if he has the self-awareness to realize it.


Natalie Cole - Publishing CEO

What Jeff says: Natalie Cole is a powerhouse. This is a Goliath, someone you're a little intimidated to talk to. Older, black, female - you could use any of those and say: these are things going against me. She says 'No no no, this is my asset right here.'"
Natalie gives a strong first impression - I could tell within seconds she was going to be a big personality and was completely unlike anyone that has ever been on the show before. She'll want to run the show, and maybe they'll let her for a while, but I can't see it lasting long.

Alec Merlino - Bartender

What Jeff says: "Alec is one of the most charming guys we've ever had on the show. And he knows it. And he says that's why I'm a Goliath. He's funny, he's good-looking, he's athletic...all of those are things that you want to be around in any other situation, just not on Survivor."
I could be way off on this, but Alec strikes me as a douchebag. Allegedly this guy got himself voted out from the reunion before the season has even aired, so that's a remarkable feat. If that's any indication of what's to come, we could be in for another Drew Christy, and I'm excited.

Alison Raybould - Physician

What Jeff says: "There's a bit of a free spirit in Alison that wants to come out. 'I'm not the uptight Doctor, I'm actually fun and sexy and I can do things.'"
I think I've landed on Alison as my official winner pick. When I make my choice I always try to go for some who isn't too anything - too young, too old, too strong, too weak. Alison has a very non-threatening personality and is exactly the kind of mediocrity I'm looking for (not meant as an insult!).

Daniel Rengering - SWAT cop

What Jeff says: "Dan is a really interesting guy because he lost over 100 lbs, completely transformed. He's a Goliath, but what I think he's probably going to say on the beach is that the truth is, I'm still a Goliath in bloom."
Daniel is basically Michael Yerger with more life perspective, which is a very dangerous player indeed. Doesn't mean I think he's going to win though, he seems almost too obvious and will probably have a tough time after the merge. If I was him, I'd be using Johnny as a shield for as long as possible.

Kara Kay - Realtor

What Jeff says: "Kara owns every part of herself. She says 'absolutely, being attractive has helped me throughout life. I've been a cheerleader, I'm now one of the best real estate agents in my field.' And I would not be surprised at all to see her in the final 3."
Kara is more than just a pretty face - she's worked hard, and I think that will help her. She doesn't seem to know the show too well, which could hold her back, but overall, Kara stands a good shot at being underestimated.

John Hennigan - Wrestler

What Jeff says: "John Hennigan wears everything about himself on his sleeve, on his jacket, on his arms, on his biceps. He doesn't pretend he's something he's not. I think once you get over the initial 'my name's John, I'm a wrestler', you realize, oh, that's just who he is. He's actually a very likeable guy and very accomplished".
It seems to me like John is always "on", which makes it hard to figure out how he's going to play the game. Will he takes it seriously or just be the court jester? It's hard to picture him taking the belt on this one.

Natalia Azoqa - Industrial engineer

What Jeff says: "Natalia, another extremely strong woman this season. Very smart, an industrial engineer. She clearly has the physical abilities and I think given who else is playing she could find herself in a very strong female alliance."
This girl is one badass bitch. She definitely has the making of a strategic challenge beast, let's hope she has the social game too. Natalia's challenge will be not coming on too strong out of the gate, because she's got a lot going for her if she can reign herself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment