Thursday, 31 January 2019

Edge Of Extinction preview

A new season of Survivor is just around the corner, but a controversial twist is preventing a lot of fans getting on board. Edge Of Extinction will offer every voted-out player a choice: call it a day, or continue to live on a desolate island with the chance to later return to the game. I guess my problem with the twist is...isn't this just Redemption Island without the duels? I don't know how tough the endurance aspect is going to be, or if it'll even be good TV, but it seems to me like getting voted out is just a minor inconvenience now. The idea of someone getting to skip half the game, come back in at the end and just win a couple of challenges to win the game is worryingly realistic. Bad twists can be forgiven if we have a good cast, but I'm not that confident we do. However messy it gets, we'll have to tune in on February 20th to find out!

THE FRESH MEAT

Wendy Diaz - Swap meet vendor
Wendy is an adorable ball of energy, but sadly is probably gonna play herself out of the game early. Her personality will be a bit much for some people and I don't think she understands the full scope of what she signed up for.


Daniel DaSilva - Military vet
Calling himself the Wardog, he's coming out of the gate strong. He also says he's bringing "sex appeal". Whoa, calm down buddy! I feel like he might have a tough time socially. Maybe he's good at challenges and that saves him for a while...he's also well-equipped to survive Extinction.

Aurora McCreary - Divorce lawyer
Aurora's got a lot of grit, what with her tragic backstory of losing her mother and being adopted. She might not be able to get along with people the way she needs to, but I have high hopes for her bringing the entertainment.

Chris Underwood - Salesman
Boring hot guy. His bio fits the profile of a surfer even if I didn't necessarily see it from first glance. His goofiness will mean no-one will suspect he's a superfan, which will work to his advantage. He's gonna be laid-back and a good camp contributor, so he's probably going far.

Lauren O'Connell - College athlete
Even though she's trying to hide it, Lauren isn't fooling me and I'm sure she's gonna be the high-maintenance one. The red vine/twizzlers answer was my clue. Predictably she picks Parvati to compare herself to, but also calls Kelley Wentworth a "powerful woman". Hmm, lucky you're on her tribe then!

Keith Sowell - Student
Keith is very religious and the youngest contestant on the season. I think him and Lauren will have a lot in common. I like that he has a nerdy side too and found him very likeable - could he be too sweet for the game though?

Julie Rosenberg - Toymaker
A self-described "neurotic" who has a lot of quirky hobbies, it's hard to see Julie fitting in with the rest of this cast when she doesn't have a lot in common with them. It's also concerning that she says she's going to have emotional moments.
Gavin Whitson - YMCA program director
This kid got married really young, which hopefully indicates a high maturity level. He comes off a little cocky, but I also think he's smart enough to keep that under wraps. He plans to use his Southern shtick to disarm people whilst hiding how strategic he can be. Remind you of anyone who won recently?

Julia Carter - Medical assistant
Julia is young, but smart. She seems very social and engaging. Could be a sleeper pick if she's able to slide under the radar and not be seen as a threat until it's too late.




Eric Hafemann - Firefighter
Eric definitely could be a threat to win. He's a firefighter and dad, a combination that worked for Jeremy. He gave a great answer about not taking himself seriously and showing humility, which is an attitude that will definitely help him in the game.

Reem Daly - Saleswoman
Reem seems like a loudmouth and that's probably gonna get her in trouble. It seems like she's hoping to be able to play the game loyal and honest...big mistake! Even without that, she'll probably struggle just for the fact that she's one of the few older contestants.



Rick Devens - Newscaster
They had Rick front and centre of the preview, so I would assume he's going to be a big character this season. He has a huge, goofy personality and seems very funny and engaging. He's also one of the biggest fans, so he should know how to play.



Victoria Baamonde - Waitress
Well of course I gotta root for the smokin' hot redhead. I think she's gonna have a good social game. Is she familiar with the show at all though? Her response to the Survivor you're most like question makes it sound like she was literally browsing Wikipedia for her answer.



Ron Clark - Teacher
Ron is the biggest name in this cast, having had a movie made about his life. I'd imagine a teacher is good at interacting with younger people too. The biggest thing going against him is obviously he's not gonna contribute much to challenges.


...AND THE RETURNING PLAYERS

Kelley Wentworth
If you'd told me 4 years ago Kelley would be the first threepeater from San Juan Del Sur, I wouldn't have believed it. But she's earned that honor after Cambodia, and I'm hoping she can slay the game again. Maybe she won't have the element of surprise this time, but she still hits that sweet spot of being all-around capable without sticking out.

David Wright
David is in the most trouble out of the returning players. He doesn't have challenge strength and is the most overtly strategic of the four. Hopefully he starts this season as strongly as he finished MvGX, as the paranoid act isn't gonna work this time. If all else fails, I suppose there's always idols!


Aubry Bracco
Aubry is a great player and an even better character, but she had a tough time finding her feet in Game Changers. Maybe a group of impressionable newbies will play to her strengths though, who knows. I think she's either gonna go early or go far, but my gut is saying to not get my hopes up.

Joe Anglim
Well, this is definitely the right season for Joe to come back for, seeing as the twist is pretty much tailor-made for him. I have nothing against the kid personally, but it's clear he's not gonna change up his game and he's just gonna rely solely on challenges. A Joe win in this format would have the largest asterisk ever, so hopefully he chokes like Ozzy in South Pacific.

No comments:

Post a Comment